Why We Might Augment Reality: Art's Role in the Development of Cognition|
abstract: In our investigations, here and elsewhere, art serves a neurological role, shaped by evolution. Art, not as a thing that is, but as a function that occurs, we will call Behavioral Art (BA). An important aspect of BA is "borrowing intelligence" from a humanly organized source, such as a painting, and applies it to a computer process. This process might easily be mistaken for an objet de (computer) art, but we must look further into the larger dynamic system, one that includes the audience as well.
As we discuss, the machine itself is incapable of any type of organization. A human (often the programmer) must supply the organizational paradigm to the input, and a human must recognize one in the output. However, by sampling from the environment via machine, a process we can now call Augmented Reality, we might imbue whatever quality triggered an interpretation of "potentially meaningful" in audience members regarding that painting, to our computed output. In this chapter, we address how and why humans tends to employ this particular form of nonverbal expression.
* (revised for 2nd edition).
* in: Geroimenko, Vladimir (ed.), Augmented Reality Art: From an Emerging Technology to a Novel Creative Medium (pp. 201-214), New York, NY: Springer.
[discusses You've Got Bugs].
Trancing: Applying Evolution's Cognitive Adaptation via Web Art/Music
* International Journal of Arts and Technology, 10(1) 43-57.
[discusses Hip not Tech].
Triggering the Flotsam of Behavior: A Technique for Applying Computation to Musicality
* in: Connor, A. (ed.), Creative Technologies for Multidisciplinary Applications (pp. 264-285), Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
Calculation in Art: The Inconspicuous Heuristics of Computation
* Rupkatha Journal on Interdisciplinary Studies in Humanities, SI: Digital Humanties, 7(1) 120-130.
[discusses Animal Magnetism,
Ritual for a Non-repeating Universe, and Crickets].
Art as a Function of Cognitive Development: Constructivism, Evolution, and Communication
* Journal of Art and Communication, Sciknow Publications Ltd., 1(1) 1-7.
Diagrams and Maps: Artís Role in the Development of Cognition
* Parsons Journal for Information Mapping, 6(1).
[discusses Composomatic, Compost and You've Got Bugs!]
Why Just Teach Art: The Development of the Hippocampus
* Bioscience and Engineering: An International Journal, 1(1) 1-7.
Can You Tell Me How to Get, How to Get to e-Learning: Development and Complexity
* Journal of e-Learning and Knowledge Society, SI: Complexity, 9(3) 41-53.
Discovering the Non-self: The Construction of Language, Trance, and Space
* Leonardo Electronic Almanac, SI: Not Here and Not There, Leonardo, MIT Press, and the Zero1 Biennial in San Jose, 19(2) 146-167.
[paper and mini-interview, discusses Compost, The Communal Mirror, Epidemiology, Five Things, Pheremones, Portraiture (Alan Turing), The Reverse Color Organ, Signature Sonata, The Synesthetic Machine, Traffic Patterns].
Integrating Programmatic Optimization and Learning through Art
* CITAR Journal of Science and Technology of the Arts, 5(1) 79-87.
[discusses Ritual for a Non-repeating Universe]
Borrowed Intelligence: Observing and Implementing the Culture of the Art World
* in: Accolas, Sofia & Wanono, Nadine (eds.), Creation and Transmission en Anthropologie Visuelle (pp. 130-422), AFA (the French Association of Anthropology).
Interaction's Role as Catalyst in Synthesized Intelligence
* Leonardo Electronic Almanac, SI: Touch and Go, Leonardo, MIT Press, Watermans of University of London, Goldsmiths College, 18(3) 190-199.
[discusses ASCII Ink Blot, Displacement, and Ruts in the Road].
Neuroacoustics: Integrating the Strengths of Computer Technology and Human Biology through Music
* Sonic Ideas/Ideas Sonicas, 3(1).
* in: Subhasish Dasgupta (ed.), Social Computing: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools and Applications (pp. 369-401), Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
* in: Braman, James & Vincenti, Giovanni & Trajkovski, Goran (eds.) The Handbook of Research on Computational Arts and Creative Informatics (pp. 343-374), Hershey, PA: IGI Global.