Why We Might Augment Reality: Art's Role in the Development of Cognition|
* (revised for 2nd edition).
* in: Geroimenko, Vladimir (ed.), Augmented Reality Art: From an Emerging Technology to a Novel Creative Medium (pp. 201-214), New York, NY: Springer.
[discusses You've Got Bugs].
Trancing: Applying Evolution's Cognitive Adaptation via Web Art/Music
* International Journal of Arts and Technology, 10(1) 43-57.
[discusses Hip not Tech].
Triggering the Flotsam of Behavior: A Technique for Applying Computation to Musicality
* in: Connor, A. (ed.), Creative Technologies for Multidisciplinary Applications (pp. 264-285), Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
Calculation in Art: The Inconspicuous Heuristics of Computation
abstract: How might computers, as tools for automatic execution of formal boolean logic, as opposed to their popular use as rote presentation appliances for presenting various pre-packaged media, be integrated into art? Though the latter use may only yield discussion relevant to a subset of media theory, and we have no argument in or with that forum, the former represents a fundamental inquiry regarding cognition, perception, biology, mathematics, and anthropology, which applies to a far broader issue that bleeds across to far more disciplines of study.
The direct approach, algorithmically generating modal events, is hardly sufficient. It is the well-known, but hardly ever analyzed basis of the Turing test. As an example, computers taking input from distinct biosensors tend to create what can be called "cat-walking-on-the-piano" music. This is not to say that an individual cannot come to develop an appreciation for such an aesthetic, but merely that our species seem to be equipped with a general organic art-ness detecting sense.
* Rupkatha Journal on Interdisciplinary Studies in Humanities, SI: Digital Humanties, 7(1) 120-130.
[discusses Animal Magnetism,
Ritual for a Non-repeating Universe, and Crickets].
Art as a Function of Cognitive Development: Constructivism, Evolution, and Communication
* Journal of Art and Communication, Sciknow Publications Ltd., 1(1) 1-7.
Diagrams and Maps: Artís Role in the Development of Cognition
* Parsons Journal for Information Mapping, 6(1).
[discusses Composomatic, Compost and You've Got Bugs!]
Why Just Teach Art: The Development of the Hippocampus
* Bioscience and Engineering: An International Journal, 1(1) 1-7.
Can You Tell Me How to Get, How to Get to e-Learning: Development and Complexity
* Journal of e-Learning and Knowledge Society, SI: Complexity, 9(3) 41-53.
Discovering the Non-self: The Construction of Language, Trance, and Space
* Leonardo Electronic Almanac, SI: Not Here and Not There, Leonardo, MIT Press, and the Zero1 Biennial in San Jose, 19(2) 146-167.
[paper and mini-interview, discusses Compost, The Communal Mirror, Epidemiology, Five Things, Pheremones, Portraiture (Alan Turing), The Reverse Color Organ, Signature Sonata, The Synesthetic Machine, Traffic Patterns].
Integrating Programmatic Optimization and Learning through Art
* CITAR Journal of Science and Technology of the Arts, 5(1) 79-87.
[discusses Ritual for a Non-repeating Universe]
Borrowed Intelligence: Observing and Implementing the Culture of the Art World
* in: Accolas, Sofia & Wanono, Nadine (eds.), Creation and Transmission en Anthropologie Visuelle (pp. 130-422), AFA (the French Association of Anthropology).
Interaction's Role as Catalyst in Synthesized Intelligence
* Leonardo Electronic Almanac, SI: Touch and Go, Leonardo, MIT Press, Watermans of University of London, Goldsmiths College, 18(3) 190-199.
[discusses ASCII Ink Blot, Displacement, and Ruts in the Road].
Neuroacoustics: Integrating the Strengths of Computer Technology and Human Biology through Music
* Sonic Ideas/Ideas Sonicas, 3(1).
* in: Subhasish Dasgupta (ed.), Social Computing: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools and Applications (pp. 369-401), Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
* in: Braman, James & Vincenti, Giovanni & Trajkovski, Goran (eds.) The Handbook of Research on Computational Arts and Creative Informatics (pp. 343-374), Hershey, PA: IGI Global.