yup, that's me.
judsoN graduated from Brown University and has an MPA from the
Interactive Telecommunications Program
at New York University.
Behavioral Art is what we get when we put the ideas in these papers (listed below) together.
You can order it here from Amazon.
Why We Might Augment Reality: Art's Role in the Development of Cognition
* (revised for 2nd edition).
* in: Geroimenko, Vladimir (ed.), Augmented Reality Art: From an Emerging Technology to a Novel Creative Medium (pp. 201-214), New York, NY: Springer.
[discusses You've Got Bugs].
Trancing: Applying Evolution's Cognitive Adaptation via Web Art/Music
* International Journal of Arts and Technology, 10(1) 43-57.
[discusses Hip not Tech].
Triggering the Flotsam of Behavior: A Technique for Applying Computation to Musicality
* in: Connor, A. (ed.), Creative Technologies for Multidisciplinary Applications (pp. 264-285), Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
Calculation in Art: The Inconspicuous Heuristics of Computation
* Rupkatha Journal on Interdisciplinary Studies in Humanities, SI: Digital Humanties, 7(1) 120-130.
[discusses Animal Magnetism,
Ritual for a Non-repeating Universe, and Crickets].
Art as a Function of Cognitive Development: Constructivism, Evolution, and Communication
* Journal of Art and Communication, Sciknow Publications Ltd., 1(1) 1-7.
Diagrams and Maps: Artís Role in the Development of Cognition
* Parsons Journal for Information Mapping, 6(1).
[discusses Composomatic, Compost and You've Got Bugs!]
Why Just Teach Art: The Development of the Hippocampus
* Bioscience and Engineering: An International Journal, 1(1) 1-7.
Can You Tell Me How to Get, How to Get to e-Learning: Development and Complexity
* Journal of e-Learning and Knowledge Society, SI: Complexity, 9(3) 41-53.
Discovering the Non-self: The Construction of Language, Trance, and Space
* Leonardo Electronic Almanac, SI: Not Here and Not There, Leonardo, MIT Press, and the Zero1 Biennial in San Jose, 19(2) 146-167.
[paper and mini-interview, discusses Compost, The Communal Mirror, Epidemiology, Five Things, Pheremones, Portraiture (Alan Turing), The Reverse Color Organ, Signature Sonata, The Synesthetic Machine, Traffic Patterns].
Integrating Programmatic Optimization and Learning through Art
* CITAR Journal of Science and Technology of the Arts, 5(1) 79-87.
[discusses Ritual for a Non-repeating Universe]
Borrowed Intelligence: Observing and Implementing the Culture of the Art World
* in: Accolas, Sofia & Wanono, Nadine (eds.), Creation and Transmission en Anthropologie Visuelle (pp. 130-422), AFA (the French Association of Anthropology).
Interaction's Role as Catalyst in Synthesized Intelligence
* Leonardo Electronic Almanac, SI: Touch and Go, Leonardo, MIT Press, Watermans of University of London, Goldsmiths College, 18(3) 190-199.
[discusses ASCII Ink Blot, Displacement, and Ruts in the Road].
Neuroacoustics: Integrating the Strengths of Computer Technology and Human Biology through Music
* Sonic Ideas/Ideas Sonicas, 3(1).
abstract: Culture is a byproduct of our brains. Moreover, weíll look at ways culture also employs ritual (from shamanistic practices to grocery shopping) to shape neural paths, and thus shape our brains. Music has a definite (well researched) role in this feedback loop. The ear learns how to discern music from noise in the very immediate context of the environment.
It may seem somewhat amazing we can come up with compatible rules, by reading these icons from our unique personal perspectives. And often we donít, as we each have differing tastes and opinions. However, "drawing from the same well" defines abstract groupings, to which we choose to subscribe. We both subscribe to and influence which rule-sets we use to filter our perceptions and conclusions. But the way we (often unconsciously) choose is far more elusive and subtle.
* in: Subhasish Dasgupta (ed.), Social Computing: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools and Applications (pp. 369-401), Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
* in: Braman, James & Vincenti, Giovanni & Trajkovski, Goran (eds.) The Handbook of Research on Computational Arts and Creative Informatics (pp. 343-374), Hershey, PA: IGI Global.